Mistake No. 98: An every day problem

I was in a grumpy mood to start with.

Just the day before I'd been here to buy myself a comfy pair of slippers - just £7 from Primark, if you care for the detail - only to find that things didn't feel quite right when I got home and started to wear them. My left foot appeared to have grown. I puzzled over this mystery for hours, moving from living room to kitchen to office, first grimacing, then hobbling, until I thought to consult the figures embossed into the soles - to discover I'd come home with a size 8 left and a size 9 right.

Two consecutive days spent in a shopping centre should come with a special health warning, much like consecutive days of binge drinking.

I lost count of the number of apostrophe-free "mens" and "womens" departments I spotted in shops.

And then on the way to Primark for an exchange, I walked past this, in BHS's window.

There is plenty to object to here, especially so when five of your toes still ache and you could be at home with your feet up in comfortable footwear writing letters of complaint to the head offices of bargain retailers.

Those ampersands upset me.

There's no verb in the second sentence.

I'm even narked by the ellipsis, even though I use them inappropriately myself all the time ...

And then there's the 'everyday', which leads me to my point - much to your relief, I expect.

"Every day" - two words - is what the writer should have used here. The rule is a simple one. If you can comfortably substitute "every" with "each" you need two words - because "eachday" looks and is wrong, and so "everyday" would be wrong.

"Everyday" means "ordinary" or "common" or "mundane".

Thank you for reading. Feet now happy and grumpiness eased.

Labels: , ,